Thursday, November 29, 2007

A day in the life

I stood up and looked around. In all my four years of being an erm, working lady I’ve never ever worked in a cubicle set up. Imagine that. Never ever! It was only a matter of time of course. So here I am. 6 rows. 10 people in each row. Two large pillars hold up this sweatshop. It’s my fourth day. I’m still very shy to make the long walk past all 6 rows to the Ladies loo at the other end. But I have to almost every hour because the freezing as fuck air con forces the last dregs of water + urea out of me with a vengeance. The legal chick who I’ve just had a cold war row with over a contract is waiting inside the loo as well. I smile at her and for a second she looks like a deer in headlights, shocked into a meek half smile before recomposing and scowling at me naturally.

There is ONE cute boy. He is someone I’ve danced with at a club (we had common friends) at a mad drunken night out. I had been dancing alone with wild abandon as I always do and he had started dancing with me and at one point he had grabbed me by the waist and said “you’re an attractive woman you know”. And since I was piss drunk I had laughed and said something witty in retort (I think) (I hope) and later found that I was mildly offended because of the underhandedness of the way it was framed. ‘you know’ like as if ‘allegedly’ I was. Hmph. Anyway my point is that he has absolutely no recollection of that night, or he is, like I am, just pretending not to recognize me. It does make for interesting pastime though. I look at him ardently and then when he looks my way, …zoopp, I look at the notice board with great scrutiny. I haven’t yet caught him looking at me and zoopping just yet. But the thought that I might, anytime soon, is keeping me very excited for the moment.

10 comments:

La vida Loca said...

good luck on the new job and the new guy :)

discombobulated said...

WHO IS THIS BAI???????????
CALL ME NOW!

Anonymous said...

oh god please dont get involved with someone at work (again!) you still have two more on your list that havent been dealt with yet remember? go deal with them woman!!

Kismet said...

you write really well.. you should try a novel. fom: Delhi expat, once of random house.. now just random.. with the right agent, your talent, anything is possible

Kismet said...

you write really well.. you should try a novel. fom: Delhi expat, once of random house.. now just random.. with the right agent, your talent, anything is possible

Anonymous said...

read the article in the paper! nice nice...

gunda said...

you arr in zee papier today mademoiselle!!!

Coo said...

@La vida Loca - Thank you, and you write very well tooo..

@discombobulated - it would help if i knew who you are cherie!

@Kismet - thank you!I am feebly attempting a novel..maybe i can get in touch with Random when im done>? ;)

Pinochyo said...

Ah, now this kind of makes the 9 months of subcription to the stupid sunday edition (which one never reads in the haze called the morning-after) worth it:-)

Wierdly enough, the style ( or is it the Cynicism?) reminds me of this long-gone internet friend (of the prehistoric days when chatting with strangers on IRC was still cool) called Della Street..She,as all other fun things,evaporated.

Keep writing.

Kismet said...

indeed .. but better, i know a couple good agents in london - look me up when you have a draft